Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sooted Face - Poem


Sooted Face -

Soiled countenance
   My efforts ever wanting
I lack in the trying
   Yet continue while faltering                      

Others falter as I stumble
   Magnifying my guilt
Desire is not sufficient
   To overcome nor correct

For in one crying instant
   I confess and recognize
Yet, in the next moment
   My faltering again overrides

Where does the cycle end
   How can the loss be found
How can the feelings mend
   How can I overcome

Only Christ’s power
  And perfect understanding
Can lift the load and heal
  Wherever hurt needs mending

Oh, needed mercy sweet
   I fall at thy pierced feet
Tearful sorrow unmasked
   Undeserved healing

Countless times the pleading
   Will I ever rise
As I return for mercies
   My sooted face undignified

Failing words cannot describe
   Charity’s warm embrace
As dust and error are erased
   In rebirth’s sacred place

Calmest feelings linger
   Lifting faith to carry on
Hope’s restoration
   Love’s window into Heaven

And I behold His face


November 18, 2002
By Janice Harten
Copyright © 2011 Janice Harten.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment