Saturday, November 5, 2011

Conversation on a Plane

I wonder what desire Thomas Edison, or Alexander Graham Bell felt, to share their new inventions.  (Yes, I understand others had similar ideas before, or at the same time.....but just indulge me as I share an important point!)  How long did they wait, and how were their ideas received?  What about Leonardo Da Vinci, or  Filo T. Farnsworth?  Did they fear the opposition or rejection they would inevitably experience, or the difficulty of getting someone to believe, trust and assist in developing their invention?  Or were they simply so excited about, and knew the value of, their inventions and ideas, that they talked with everyone and anyone who would listen to them?

These thoughts followed me after a recent trip.  I decided to try and get to know the people I was sitting next to on the plane.  This is sometimes difficult, because my perception is, that most of the time it is unwanted.  People want to be left alone to read or think or sleep.  They don't want a nosey neighbor.

I was surprised, therefore, when I said hello, the woman sitting next to me was very friendly and we started a conversation that lasted throughout our flight.  I was very interested in hearing about her family, her work and her beliefs.  She had experienced trials, unlike my own, and I could see how her life had also been blessed.  I likewise shared with her, stories about my life, my family, and talked about my goal and occasional trips with my husband to visit some of the temples.  In the end, we exchanged contact information.

A few days later, I wondered how I could share with her, more of the knowledge I have about the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I wondered if it would be appropriate, after such a brief encounter, and I didn't want to offend her.   I decided to be unafraid, and simply wrote to her and explained my desire and how she could obtain more information.  I gave her the links to mormon.org and lds.org, and invited her to look at them at her convenience.

I probably will never know if this brief conversation and invitation will make a difference in her life, but it already has in mine.  I hope I will gain more faith and courage to share what I have been given.  How sad it would have been for Edison to not have shared what he knew, that has eventually brought light into every corner of the world and benefited all mankind.  Isn't the knowledge I have, even more significant than electricity or any other invention?  How important is a single life, a single invitation?  How many lives can be touched by just one person who will listen?  How selfish it would be to try and hide a lightbulb under a bushel, and not let anyone else even know about it, out of fear of offending them.

No comments:

Post a Comment