Saturday, November 12, 2011

Memory Table

Buying a kitchen table years ago, was a major decision.  I knew that whatever I bought, it would have to last a lifetime, because I consider it a permanent fixture in my home.  It was a major financial purchase, and it needed to be just right, to fit within our limited space, yet provide the maximum comfort for our growing family.  I shopped for several weeks, and actually bought and returned two tables, until I found one I was happy with.

It was an expandable oak table on a heavy pedestal.  Now, we had a beautiful place where all of us could enjoy our meals together.  Here we sat with our children, doing homework, projects, playing games, and visiting.   It would have been interesting to record all the stories that have been told, or all the jokes we have laughed at, while eating french toast and bacon or roast beef and potatoes.

At first I worried that the surface would get damaged with sharp pencils, markers or scissors.  I wondered how to feel when I saw the first flaw.  Then, an idea occurred to me that helped me enjoy those possibilities.  I decided that each flaw or chip would heighten the memories I had, spending time with my family.  I realized that each ding, or scrape could be transformed into a specific event and memory that would become precious.  Like looking at an interesting piece of antique furniture, and imagining what kind of a life it had lived, I started looking forward to what stories my table, or for that matter, other items in my home might tell, through their imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment