Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple


This is part of the view from the front of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple (pronounced Oker).  I will not make the mistake again, of calling it the Oquirrh "Hills" temple! My son teased me yesterday, for making that mistake.  This temple was built on the Oquirrh Mountain Range, and it looks directly across the valley, at the Wasatch Mountain Range.  The view spans the width and length of the Salt Lake Valley.

Our daughter lives nearby, and we invited her to join us.  As we waited together in the chapel, we listened as someone played hymns on the organ, and the words of the songs began running through my mind.   My daughter pointed to a hymn book which was sitting next to a set of scriptures, nearby.  I opened the book and the second verse of the hymn I turned to, directly answered a silent prayer I offered that morning.  I know someone was listening.

During the session, thoughts and impressions continued to flow, about the life and mission of our Savior Jesus Christ.  I pondered on the power he grants us, to overcome temptation and sin, and then to bless and help others, as we listen and follow him, step by step.  It doesn't happen in a single day, but over time his spirit teaches and prompts us to do better things.  We begin to desire and value the things of heaven, more than the things of this world.


I hope I can remember this visit to the mountain of the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment