Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Morning Musings

What is character?  Each morning, when I awaken, my choices stare me in the face.  Read?  TV?  Prayer?  Exercise?  Work?  Serve?  Do nothing? etc....  Flying solo, at home, for weeks at a time, while my husband travels for business, has presented a personal test of will power and character.  Is time my friend or enemy?  What are my true motivations and catalysts?  Am I honest with myself?  Good intentions are not enough to be a true reflection of character.  Good intentions only present an opportunity to act.  Choice is power over good intentions.  And action is power over choice.  Action is only the next step to "becoming" something.  And, over time the "doing" has to become automatic, innate, instinctive.  But, becoming, is more than any doing.  It is more than what we are, it is who we are.

Then the first question should be, what or who do I want to become?  That influences my decision on what and how I read, watch, eat, pray, work, serve, or ponder.  If I am simply going through the motions, without a clear goal in mind, then my actions, although well intentioned, are directionless and unproductive.  Like a pilot who knows how to technically fly a plane, but doesn't know where he wants to fly to, finds himself flying in circles and never getting anywhere.  Is there an understandable path?  Can I actually predict where my actions will lead?

That leads me to this most important question; how do my goals and desires match up with what God wants for me?  Can my very best attempts get me where I truly want to be?  Or, how do I sincronize my efforts and gain the Lord's spiritual vision, guidance and help?  Maybe, now, I have discovered the very first and ongoing step.

No comments:

Post a Comment