Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rocky Mountains - View from Above

Glacier National Park, Montana
Bill riding Gondola, Banff
Banff, Alberta Canada
As impressive as Glacier National Park is, it is only an infant preview of an even grander view of the Rockies Mountains, found in Banff, Alberta, Canada.  There we traveled to the top of a mountain in a gondola, to witness the expansive view of seven different mountain ranges, with trees carpeting the valley floor.  It must have been where the word "Awesome!" was first uttered.


Lake Louise canoe ride
And to top off our experience, we traveled to Lake Louise, where Bill successfully convinced me to paddle into the lake with him, in a canoe.  Emerald green water below a snow white glacier is now a picture, forever, in my mind.

A delicious moment, was stopping back, at Glacier National Park, for a slice of  huckleberry pie with ice cream, on our return trip home.  Bill and I compared it with one of our favorite memories, eating a smoked salmon omelette, at a small street cafe in Paris, years ago!  Yum!


Huckleberry Pie and Ice Cream, Glacier National Park, Montana
Why is it so satisfying to see a place from high up?  I feel I cannot get my bearings until I have stood in a mountain above a city.  My internal compass is not content, and I am lost, until I can see with my eyes, or picture in my mind, the world around me.  Maybe this is the result of having grown up in the mountains.  Even when I lived in Bolivia, as a youth, I was in the top of the Andes Mountains, and could gaze in awe, at the miracles of God's creations.  Perhaps it is perspective I need.  I can see where I am in relationship to everything around me, and how amazingly beautiful it all is.  I feel humble among God's creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment