Wednesday, June 6, 2012

World of Discovery - Body

The past few months, I have undertaken a goal to scan and record digital copies of all our old videos and photographs, so they can be shared with our children.  Most recently I have been viewing photos of the day Bill and I were married.  Who are the people in those photographs?!  Time has changed our physical appearance dramatically, from our hair color to our middle.  We looked and felt invincible then, and were totally caught up in ourselves and our future together.  We could function on only a few hours of sleep, eat whatever we wanted, and enjoy hiking and camping.  Now, we experience fitful sleep, gain weight just looking at chocolate cake, and wonder if our knees will carry us down the hill if we attempt to go up it.

I remember, as a child, how excited I was to ride a bicycle for the first time.  I managed to learn quickly, and it gave me freedom I had not experienced before.  As the wind blew my hair, I enjoyed the control and feel of the handle bars in my hands and the power of the pedals under my feet.  I could go places more quickly and easily, and a whole new world opened up for me.  I wonder if this is at all similar to our spirits receiving physical bodies?

I can only imagine how excited I was to finally have my turn to come to earth and receive a physical body.  In the scriptures, we are told we shouted for joy!  (Job 38:7)  How thrilling to contemplate being able to see, hear, smell, taste, touch, speak and move with tangible, physical bodies of flesh and bone.  How significant the gift to conceive and bear children.  How interesting to learn how to use the life of spirit to direct the motion and choice of a new physical world.  What an interesting opportunity the Lord has given us, to see how we will use these temporal shells, before giving us permanent, immortal ones.

Life's difficulties are real, and I see friends and those I love, suffer from painful physical trials.  I do not look forward to growing less mobile or more round, ill or incapacitated.  But, I accept, that eventually our bodies have to stop completely, so our spirits can return to our heavenly home and report on this journey.

And so, I remember and am grateful for the life I have been given, even as my newly acquired but earthly aging, physical self, moans and creaks a little.  I think more carefully about what goes in and around it, and how it moves, so I might enjoy it a little longer.  And I wonder if I will look back with joy and satisfaction, not only on my new found freedom and expression, but with especial appreciation for the opportunity to endure sickness, aches, pains and even eventual death.  

One of the most profound moments in my life, was seeing the body of my mother, still, in death.  Gazing at her, I found myself realizing how much I do not know about the power we are given through this physical gift.  We have barely scratched the surface of our mortal understanding, as we contemplate life in heaven and the things we will be capable of doing with a resurrected body, joined once again to our tested and more developed spirit.  I testify that the power of the atonement will raise us from our death beds and allow us to stand in full majesty before our creator, the King of Kings.

Mosiah 16:8

8 But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ.

What a world of discovery and joy awaits us in the heavens!


No comments:

Post a Comment