Saturday, June 2, 2012

Siblings - Importance of Differences

I have discovered something important.  Siblings can become our best friends, and one of our most important support groups, as we grow older.  I have been blessed with a truly amazing brother and four sisters.  I have observed their examples of service throughout their lives, and have been the beneficiary of their compassion and understanding.  And, even though we have lived, at times, at great distances from one another, we have made the effort to stay in touch.

My appreciation for each of them deepened considerably, as my mother and father began to age and my mother passed away.  And I have once again learned a very important lesson.  Each of us is different, yet we contribute individually in important ways.  During the preparations for my mother's passing, we quickly organized and coordinated our efforts to pay tribute to her, and comfort my father.  I accept the need for some to lead and others to follow.  It made for a smooth transition, during a time of grief and some uncertainty.

Since that time, for more than three years, my brother has traveled each week, to spend an evening with my father, purchasing a favorite meal for them to eat while they enjoy a game on TV.  He has provided comfort and a listening ear, and valuable counsel.  I see my oldest sister spend almost every available moment, visiting, listening, coordinating, and giving much needed nursing care, as my father recovers from recent surgery.  Her selflessness is inspiring.  Another sister lives across the nation, yet she calls Dad, coordinates and gathers family history information, gives meaningful insight into his needs, and makes numerous trips to visit.  Together, I travel with another of my sisters, to help clean and maintain the home.  She, along with others, recently traveled with Dad to Mother's grave, to place flowers and remember.  And my youngest sister has spent countless hours capturing copies of photographs, histories, and recording accounts with Dad.  She has offered him companionship and comfort only the youngest can do.  And there is so much more I have not mentioned about each of them.

I feel inadequate and humbled to be part of this noble group.  I cannot begin to keep up with them.  So, instead I have tried to recognize the gift each possesses.  We serve differently.  We love differently.  Our family needs are different.  Our lives are different.  Yet, somehow that is where the magic lies.  Through our coordinated efforts, we have become a team, united in our service to our father, and developing deeper love for one another.  Like the down during a football game, no one questions the importance of the quarterback.  But what would the success of the team be without the center guard, the half back, tight end or wide receiver, not to mention the defensive team?  We are discovering the thrill of a well executed play, and celebrate our unique offerings during this time of our lives.

I also acknowledge the patience and love shown by each of our spouses.  They have been understanding and generous, and have contributed ideas, their time and love.  I hold them in equal regard and respect with my siblings.


No comments:

Post a Comment