Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rexburg Idaho Temple - House of Higher Learning

A house of higher learning sits on a hill overlooking Brigham Young University Idaho.  The Rexburg Temple can almost be described as an addition to the campus, where students and others turn for spiritual learning.

BYU-I's mission statement reads, BYU-Idaho seeks to develop students who are spiritually focused and ready for leadership in their families, the workplace, and the community.  Several of our children chose to attend this university, and our youngest son is currently studying there.

Recently, I pondered the account of when Jesus was 12 years old and he was discovered by his parents in the temple. (Luke 2)  And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.  And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

Throughout his mortal ministry, Jesus continued to teach in the temple. (John 18:20) Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.  Therefore, it seems obvious that today we may seek to enter the chapels and the temple to be taught by him.

Someone I spoke with recently, questioned our need for inspiration from the Lord, and they wondered if we are as capable of accomplishing the same things by our own power.  Someone else described this as having faith only in oneself, rather than having faith in Jesus Christ.  I was pondering these comments as we prepared to enter the temple session.  I picked up the scriptures, and as I sometimes do, I decided to open them to a random page, and prayed I would find an answer to whether we need the Lord's help.

I opened to Mormon 4.  The chapter heading indicated this chapter was about the war and destruction of an ancient people who once lived on the Americas, called the Nephites.  Immediately, I said in my mind, "No!".  I really didn't want to read such a sad account before going into the session.  So, my next inclination was to open the book somewhere else.  However, I decided to exercise my faith more, and I silently prayed again that I would find something within the chapter I'd turned to that would answer my prayers.

The account on the next few pages, (Mormon 4, 5) was a perfect description of the need to rely on our Savior, Jesus Christ, and what will become of those who turn away from him and rely only on their own power.

4:18  And from this time forth did the Nephites gain no power over the Lamanites, but began to be swept off by them even as a dew before the sun.
5:2  ...they repented not of their iniquities, but did struggle for their lives without calling upon that Being who created them.
5:17  They were once a delightsome people, and they had Christ for their shepherd; yea, they were led even by God the Father.
5:18  But now, behold, they are led about by Satan, even as chaff is driven before the wind, or as a vessel is tossed about upon the waves, without sail or anchor, or without anything wherewith to steer her; and even as she is, so are they.

This appears to be a very harsh and unloving fate for those who have strayed from the arms of the Savior.  But, these were people who had once known and followed him, and then turned away.  However, the chapter continues by describing the restoration of hope for those caught in this downward spiral.  These next verses are talking about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.  The whole purpose of the Book of Mormon is to restore faith to those who want to come, know and be brought back into the Savior's presence.

5:12  Now these things are written unto the remnant of the house of Jacob; and they are written after this manner, because it is known of God that wickedness will not bring them forth unto them; and they are to be hid up unto the Lord that they may come forth in his own due time.
5:14  And behold, they shall go unto the unbelieving of the Jews; and for this intent shall they go - that they may be persuaded that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God; that the Father may bring about, through his most Beloved, his great and eternal purpose, in restoring the Jews, or all the house of Israel, to the land of their inheritance, which the Lord their God hath given them, unto the fulfilling of his covenant;

5:21  And also the Lord will remember the prayers of the righteous, which have been put up unto him for them.
5:22  And then, O ye Gentiles, how can ye stand before the power of God, except ye shall repent and turn from your evil ways?
5:23  Know ye not that ye are in the hands of God?  Know ye not that he hath all power, and at his great command the earth shall be rolled together as a scroll?
5:24  Therefore, repent ye, and humble yourselves before him...

It seems clear to me, and I testify, that we need the help of the Lord, to overcome sin and receive the blessings of happiness.  Without him there is eventual sadness, destruction and pain.  I choose the former.


At the beginning of this blog, I shared an experience and poem about the reflections of light in the chandelier in the Bountiful Temple.  They were symbolic of future posterity.  In the Rexburg Temple, I again noticed these tiny sparkling colors, and a new realization came to me.  If each of these sparkles represents an individual person, none of them are forgotten or out of sight of our Father in Heaven.  They remain completely within his vision and power of influence.  And even though some remain hidden from me, although I appear to be looking right at them, each is never out of his sight, reach or understanding.  He looks upon us all with the eyes of a loving Father, ready and eager to help as soon as we are willing to invite and receive him.

I guess this is my Sunday sermon to myself.  I didn't even describe the majesty of the temple interior and surroundings.  This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite temples.

No comments:

Post a Comment