Friday, April 27, 2012

Oakland California Temple - Favorite Bedtime Story

I had a favorite bedtime story.  It was about a small pioneer child who followed the family covered wagon by holding on behind and letting the wagon pull him along.  My sister and I used to beg my father to retell this story every night.  He didn't read it from a book, but lay on the bed between us and told the story from memory.  If he changed the story in any way, we corrected him.  There were especially long moments of my father describing how tired the little boy was getting as he walked...and walked...and walked....  Yes, he was trying to get us to finally close our eyes and sleep.


Like this favorite bedtime story, I recognize the familiar ring the temple ceremony has to my ears.  As I listen to it again and again, I am able to remember and repeat many of the words.  And sometimes, when I am going about my regular daily activities, some of those words come to mind, and I remember the Lord's plan and his love for me.  And so the story becomes more endearing and personal over time.  And, like a small child listening to her loving father tell her a story, I can feel his closeness and the love we have for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment