Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Winter Quarters Nebraska Temple - Willing Hands and Hearts

As we drove through the fields and rolling hills of the midwest, from Des Moines, Iowa, to Omaha Nebraska, I tried to imagine the Pioneer Saints traveling in their covered wagons or pulling handcarts,  along this route.  The newly harvested fields and green landscape were beautiful from inside our comfortable car.  But, as I felt strong winds push sideways against the car, and saw groups of semi-trucks pulled over for safety, I realized the pioneers had traveled under very different circumstances.  Their journey was in the middle of winter and in freezing blowing snow.  Every step was a battle for life, and many lost their lives.  These were my people, my family, my heritage.

Temple stained glass windows, with Pioneer scenes

I regret we did not have time to explore a nearby church visitor site, with details about the pioneer's experience.  So, if you ever visit, allow an extra hour or two, to maybe pull a handcart!  But, we were lucky just to make this evening journey, during a week of business meetings in Des Moines.


We met a young woman, who was celebrating her twelfth birthday with her family, by attending the temple and doing baptisms for her ancestors.  I was impressed that she chose to serve others on that day.  I also thought of other young men and women I worked beside, just a week ago.  We participated in a service project, organized by our ward, to trim and clean up the grounds around the elementary school.  It was hot, challenging work, but they stayed for almost three hours, and they were cheerful.  Whenever I hear news events that would discourage me, I picture them.  They keep my hopes for the future alive and bright.  I see the faith and willingness to sacrifice, traveling from the pioneers of the past, into the hands and hearts of our modern-day youth.






2 comments:

  1. Janice what a small world! I was just googling the Omaha temple (where we live and since I'm teaching Sunday School tomorrow on temples), and your blog popped right up! How fun and what a neat goal to visit that many temples. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, how fun to hear from you! Amazing to be only a mouse click away. I look forward to seeing you and your family next time you are in town.

      Delete