Sunday, May 27, 2012

Grandfather - War History

My grandfather wrote a history about his service as a foot soldier in France, in WWI.  He tells about his enlistment and receiving a Patriarchal blessing before he left:

"Your life shall be precious in the eyes of the Lord. You shall be upheld and sustained and preserved from danger, both seen and unseen, and though many may fall around you, upon the right and upon the left, in the front and in the rear, God will preserve your life, for your days are numbered and your years shall never be counted less. Whether by land or by sea your Guardian Angel shall watch over you, and your life and liberty shall be precious in His sight."

Later he wrote the following account:

"They opened up a heavy barrage on our lines. The second shell struck in the line I was in - just a couple of feet from me. The flash was terrible. The pieces flew, but (to my safety) they struck the men just in front of me. A piece, that seemed more like the whir a bayonet would make as it flew through the air than a piece of shrapnel, flew just past my ear. The concussion was so terrible it blew us backward. When I began to turn I noticed I was on my back and my pal, Bolam, was on top of me. I said to him, "Are you hurt, Bolam?" He answered, "I don't know, but I am bleeding." I began to feel around to see if my feet and legs were on. I must have been numb for so long, because Bolam and I (in fact everyone who could) moved forward. I had to step and jump over the men that shell had killed and wounded.  My, it was awful. I learned that it killed or wounded fifteen of my company pals."

This is a small sample of many pages he wrote, describing similar battles, when he witnessed the death of those around him, and yet his own life was preserved.

Other memorable parts of his war journal include stories about later responsibilities he had, to sensor and deliver the mail (he received this assignment after having a foot problem).  These stories make me smile:

"Talking about the Christmas boxes that were coming in from home - one day three large bags of mail came in loaded with nothing but boxes of candy, etc. As Bolam and I took boxes from the top of one of them we ran across a few pieces of butterscotch. Bolam said that was just the kind he liked. All the way along there were stray pieces, so we ate them. Bolam said the fellow whose box that is will surely miss it. When we came to the bottom of the bag there was the broken box. As Bol lifted it he exclaimed, "It's mine!" Well, I just rolled and laughed, but it was no laughing matter to him.

Finally in March 1919, we left St. Georges. But the night before, I had to get rid of a package I had saved. It belonged to a Danish sailor who had been drafted in Seattle but had not wanted to remain with us. He had protested. His papers had been a long time getting through. He trained with us in Camp Lewis. He went across with us and remained until just before we went into the front. He had all his civilian clothes in a sack hoping to get his release and use them. His release came after he had stored his clothes. So he had gone to Denmark, and I had his clothes with no address.  Before [I left France], Bolam and I took the [Danish sailor's clothes to the] old man Provost [a Frenchman we had come to know], and dressed him up from head to foot - hat, shoes, collar, tie and all.  It was surely funny to see the old lady [the French man's wife] dance around him. We had a lot of fun for an hour, then I told the old man they were his. You have never seen anyone so happy in your life. That was the best outfit he had ever owned."

Finally, he wrote this about his return home:

"I remembered a letter Libbie had sent to me after I had arrived in France. She said when I was in New York, she dreamed I was to sail on July 12th. That was the exact day I stepped on the Olympic for France. Now I wondered if the same spirit would warn her of my sailing for home.

...It wasn't long in coming and our wives were in our arms. I don't believe any but those who were in the thick of the fight, as we two were, can quite appreciate the thrill of seeing those one loves again."

As part of this Memorial Day weekend, I pay tribute to my grandfather, my father, my son, and all other men and women who have given, or continue to give their lives; for honor, for their families, and for freedom.  And I remember with appreciation, those who wait at home for their return.

No comments:

Post a Comment