Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Kirtland Ohio Temple

Kirtland Ohio Temple
The Kirtland temple stands as a monument to the dedication and sacrifice of the early saints.  It is evidence of their willingness and desire to worship the Lord Jesus Christ.  There they obtained power and knowledge from on high, that sustained them through every trial, and continues to sustain their descendants today.  I tried to imagine the heavenly manifestations that were recorded, on the day of dedication.  I thought of how they must have felt.

Window and Original Door of Kirtland Temple
One of the elements I loved about the temple structure, was the large windows, and the natural light that pours through from every side of the room.  One question remained on my mind, however, and that is "Why are the rooms of this temple so different from other temples that were built from that time on?"  Later, in my travels, I discovered part of the answer.
Old Meeting House, Boston MA
When we arrived in Boston, and I toured the Old Meeting House, where seeds of democracy were planted, my jaw dropped open.  The interior of the building is similar in multiple ways to the Kirtland temple.  Large windows let in natural light, and white pews are topped with wood railings.  I realized that this Old Meeting House was also a sacred building, where powerful thoughts of freedom contributed to a society where the gospel of Jesus Christ could be restored, without being wiped off of the earth, like it had throughout other centuries of history.  Similar architecture is also found in the Old North Church, where the lantern was lit to warn of the British troops.
Old North Church, Boston MA

The Kirtland temple is also different from other latter-day temples, because it is not currently owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Therefore, anyone can enter.  Although I appreciate that it is being preserved by it's current owners, it lacked the care and spirit I am accustomed to experiencing, when I enter our buildings.


No comments:

Post a Comment