Friday, September 2, 2011

Cardston Alberta Temple - Symbolism

Just inside the front door of the Cardston AlbertaTemple, is a stone relief, depicting Jesus and the Woman at the Well.  The life size carving spans the length of the room, and in the middle, from under the well, flows a small stream of water that drops into a fountain lined with colorful green and blue tiles.  As I gazed at the scene, on our recent visit, the meaning of their private exchange came to my mind, and lingered with me throughout my visit there.  The fact that the water was real, brought the scene to life.


Why are symbols so powerful?  Maybe because they touch a part of me that can't be described in words.  Even now, I am finding it difficult to express what passed through my mind in those few moments, at the edge of this beautiful pool.  And the lessons are profound and private, just like the original exchange between Christ and the woman. 







No comments:

Post a Comment