Sunday, January 23, 2022

Singed - Poem

Singed

How long must I be in the midst of this fire
like Shadrach, Meshack and Abednego?
(Four appeared conversing there)
I cry out! - Unlike them, I am singed
With flames creeping higher, higher - 
Thy will?

Then purify my feet, my arms, my head
Consume earthly wrongs
Sear my doubts
Char pride's muscle that binds me to man
Scrape ground, blackened by fear carbon
Fill me with light to see what was hidden

Kindle flare of radiant hope
Cauterize weeping sorrow
Shadowy ash mark my cremation
Scattered dust returned to creation
Coal embers glow with God's grace
Memory of sin and error permanently erase

Come tomorrow, blaze bursts brighter still
But when I plead, "No more!"
Heat rises more intense than before
Evermore brilliant than sun at noonday
Impurities liquefy and melt away
Becoming Love's translucent cosmic ray


Janice Harten
18 Nov 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment