Friday, August 24, 2012

Sacred Clothing - Garments

Throughout history, up to the present, certain symbols have been viewed as sacred by those of all religions and faiths.  For instance, those of the Jewish faith might wear a Tallit, which is a sacred apron or shawl.  This is also used at weddings as a sacred symbol of their faith and the promises they are making with God.  In the Catholic religion, a woman covers her head with a simple handkerchief before entering the chapel to worship.  Others wear a crucifix to remind them of their faith in Jesus Christ.  In the Muslim religion, women cover themselves to protect modesty etc.

Besides sacred clothing, other groups don clothing that unites and distinguishes them from others.  For instance, different branches of the military wear colors and insignia, that define their roles, skills and accomplishments.  They wear protective gear in battle and their uniform helps them identify one another.  Clothing can be both a protection and an identifying and unifying object.

I wear a white garment.  What is different about my garment is that I wear it underneath my clothing so that it remains private rather than public.  The fact that it is private is also symbolic.  Rather than it being an object for the world to see, it is an object that reminds me of my personal relationship to God.  It reminds me of the promises I have made with the Lord and the blessings he has in store for me.  I feel that it protects me as literally as a soldier's armor might, against temptation and danger.  It is white, which is symbolic of something clean and pure, which I strive to be.  It is a way in which I demonstrate to the Lord that I want and am willing to keep his commandments.

The garment is comfortable and simple.  It is sacred and meaningful.  I accept the beauty and significance others place on their religious symbols.  I appreciate those who respect this private demonstration of my faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment