Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Stewart Falls - Hiking

I have successfully talked Bill into taking several hikes with me this summer.  There are many areas we have never been in these beautiful mountains.  And I am not yet willing to accept the possibility that we don't have the youth or strength to get there.  So, our first hike was to Stewart Falls, near Sundance Ski Resort in Utah County.  Everyone, it seemed, passed us on the trail; children, adults packing children, youth, senior adults, and dogs.  But, I kept telling myself it wasn't a race, and we could take it at whatever pace we needed.

By the time we reached the falls, we stepped across the stream and happily found a small spot of shade where we ate the sandwiches we brought.  One of the hikers suggested we get our clothes wet before hiking back.  We didn't hesitate to completely douse our hats, shirts, shorts and shoes.  It helped us tolerate the heat of midday, even though much of the hike was in shade, and taught us that our next attempted hike would be started much earlier in the morning.  This moderate hike was well worth the accomplishment of the four mile roundtrip journey.  I loved the sights and smells of the pines and wild flowers, and I found satisfaction in my accomplishment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment